I believe the web has changed a lot the last few years, with important advancements made by both Google and Facebook in terms of delivering users exactly what they need. One very important question most online marketer asks is how do you write content anymore? What do you need to do to make sure you stay relevant in both the eyes of users both also Google and even Facebook.
It is pretty clear to me that what used to work once upon a time doesn't work anymore and copying what someone else is doing also doesn't help like it used too. Technical SEO is long dead and the importance of keywords is diminishing.
So what do you need to do to ensure you are writing good content in 2017?
1. Exceptional content plus promotion equals love.
2. Don't write about a subject just because you need to write something today. Both users and search engines can recognize "empty" words and are not going to read or rank that type of content.
3. 500 words about a certain subject don't mean you covered that subject entirely. You need to aim for contact that passes 1500 words and delivers a complete experience to any users interested in that subject/niche.
4. Three complex proper articles written in a month is way better than 30 low-quality articles posted in that same time period.
5. Content needs to have an opinion, needs to be structured and organized, visual attractive with a conversational style.
6. Make sure you are doing a proper research, it all starts with "personas" - go to forums and facebook groups to take the pulse of you audience and once you start writing, make sure you are doing it in their "language", it's important to adapt their talking style and their micro-culture on the subject you are writing about, this was they'll feel a connection with the content you produced targets them directly.
7. The vast majority of online users don't like to read, the majority just "scan" than information. You need to make sure you structure your content in ways that make it easy to digest and "scan".